0 3 min 3 weeks
FILE - Britain's Princess Anne attends a ceremony to mark the 80th anniversary of D-Day, at Place des Canadiens in Bretteville-l'Orgueilleuse, Normandy, France, Wednesday June 5, 2024. On Friday, June 28, 2024, Princess Anne left the hospital and returned to her southwestern England estate after an accident thought to involve a horse left her with a concussion. (Aaron Chown/Pool Photo via AP, File)
The royal was due to be in Canada this week (Picture: AP)

Princess Anne has broken her silence for the first time after a horse accidentat her Gatcome Park Estate home in Gloucestershire.

The 73-year-old has expressed her ‘deep regret’ while recovering from the ‘minor injuries and concussion’.

The princess was admitted to Southmead Hospital in Bristol, said Buckingham Palace, but has now left after five days of treatment.

Anne was due to attend a ceremony to honour the centenary of the Newfoundland National War Memorial, however was unable to attend.

Governor General read out a message from the princess in her absence, in which she shared her ‘fond memories’ of the commemoration.

The message said: ‘I have fond memories of joining you in 2016, on the 99th occasion that the people of this Island commemorated the Battle of Beaumont Hamel, and I am deeply saddened that I’m unable to join you again, and I send you my warmest best wishes on this special day of commemoration.’

Princess Anne’s husband, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence expressed his gratitude to the medical team, and said: ‘I would like to extend my warmest thanks to all the team at Southmead Hospital for their care, expertise and kindness during my wife’s short stay.’

The princess was forced to cancel her upcoming engagements whilst in hospital.

Buckingham Palace said in a statement released last week: ‘Her Royal Highness is receiving appropriate expert care. No further details are being shared at this stage.

‘Her Royal Highness will remain in Southmead Hospital unless or until her medical team advise otherwise.

‘On doctors’ advice, Her Royal Highness’s engagements for the week ahead will be postponed.

‘Her Royal Highness sends her apologies to any who may be inconvenienced or disappointed as a result.’

This is a developing news story, more to follow soon… Check back shortly for further updates.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *